As most of you know 2009 was quite eventful for my family and I. From being laid off in January and being unemployed for 8 months to being diagnosed with cancer in September without having health insurance. The last part of the year saw me going through radiation and chemotherapy to fight cancer. In the final weeks and days of 2009 I spent my time recovering from cancer treatment.
Now some might say that for my family and I 2009 was a terrible year. While I was tempted at times to label it that I have to say that it has been one of the best. During this past year we have been tried and tested but still have come out on top. You never know how strong your relationships are with family and friends until they are tested and this year was a lot of testing. In that testing I am glad to say that I became aware of more support from family and friends then I ever knew was there.
In the mist of everything that we went through this year we never asked for help from anyone but the help poured in, from everywhere. Folks that I hadn’t talked to a long time tracked me down because they heard that I was having a tough time. The sheer magnitude of people’s willingness to help out and contribute to our well being was overwhelming at times. As overwhelming as it was I am thankful for every contribution and offer of help that was sent our way.
With that I want to take the time to say thank you to the following organizations that helped during 2009. I have purposely not mentioned individuals because some if not all folks aren’t quite comfortable with that.
- Coremetrics – Austin, TX – Thank you for your pool of donations. Even though it had been 10 months+ since I worked there you guys cared enough to put your resources together to help out. Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me.
- Solarwinds – Austin, TX – Your support during and after my diagnoses helped to cushion the blow. You are a great group of people to work with and I hope I have the opportunity to do so again in the future.
- Softserve – Lviv, Ukraine – I always enjoyed working with you guys and am so thankful for you pooling your resources together to help out. I hope we work together again in the future.
- Best Gasket – Whittier, CA – As a former client I was not even aware that you knew what I was going through. Your contribution was greatly appreciated.
- Celebration Church – Georgetown, TX – Thank you for the counseling support while I was in the hospital each time and the sessions that I was able to attend on my own. You helped me to keep my bearing during this difficult time.
- Jimmy Jacobs Custom Homes – Georgetown, TX – Thank you for adopting us for Christmas. The presents you had for the kids where more then we would have ever given them and they loved it. Thank you for helping to make Christmas special in the mist of everything that was going on.
- Wonders and Worries – Austin, TX – Thank you for your time with the kids during this time. You made my diagnoses and treatment less scary for the kids and for me. Thank you.
- Shivers Cancer Center – Austin, TX – Thank you treating me when nobody else would without insurance.
- All the individuals – Family and Friends – There are so many of you that are not directly associated with the organizations above that have done so much for us. You are located all over the country and made sure that you did anything you could to help out during this time. You will always be remembered and I hope we are in a position to help you out in the same manner if you ever need it.
I hope when you look back on your 2009 I hope the good outshines the bad as it has for us this year.
Here’s to an even better 2010!